Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Geek Dinner

Last night my friend Randy and I went to the geek dinner in Grand Central Station that was organized by Steven Rubel--the face of blogging for PR--and Microsoft's celebrity blogger Robert Scoble.

It also turned out to be mildly historic--the party doubled as the 50th birthday party for Dave Winer who has been credited with possibly the first blog and RSS feeds. At a party like this, that makes him sort of king geek. (He has a certain Jerry Garcia-esque jolliness to his presence that makes him a natural focal point to boot.)

It was my first geek event of any kind. And I'll say this for geeks--they're very nice!

There also just aren't all that many of them. The group of communications pioneers who are changing the world, threatening the networks, and revolutionizing communications all fit into the small Two Boots pizza joint tucked into the downstairs corner of Grand Central Station.

Plenty of people were taking photos and videotaping things. It was like being at a wedding with all the flashbulbs going off. One such fellow, Ramon Ray, interviewed lots of people about blogging, including me! There is about half an hour of video (I'm near the end) on his website.

Here's the hilarious part: on Ramon's website, there is a list of who's interviewed. Down at the end it goes like this:

Dave Winer, RSS Co-creator, www.reallysimplesynidcation.com
Steve Rubel
, PR/Blog guru, www.MicroPersuasion.com
Henry Abbott
, Sports Writer, www.thebigball.blogspot.com
Robert Scoble
, Microsoft Devloper, http://scoble.weblogs.com/

One of these things is not like the other...

2 Comments:

At 12:46 PM , Blogger Wisdom Weasel said...

"Even if you have “only” 10,000 visitors": is this the silent majority one hears about so often?
Looked like a fun evening, seriously.

 
At 1:44 PM , Blogger henryabbott said...

It actually was fun, although pretty geeky. I'd say about five percent of the people there were not white males between 30 and 60. There was a lot of talk about RSS feeds, although Randy managed to steer the conversation to calzones for quite some time.

When I told some people my blog was about basketball, there was some money changing hands. One guy said "oh, I bet my friend that there wouldn't be any sports people here..."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home