Friday, April 29, 2005

The Money Problem

Last weekend when this blog was hopping with gay rights talk, some guy called Tom Maguire left a comment here.

Something about it seemed odd, so I googled him and found his blog, which funnily enough mentions me.

Then I read down a bit, found he had some interesting information about the whole Microsoft thing, including this quote from the religious man who is said to have inspired Microsoft to back off in the first place:

"What I was upset about," the pastor reportedly said, "was when they tried to step outside their four walls and make their policy my policy. That gave me the right to step out of my world into theirs."

I can hear a lot of conservatives saying "yay pastor!" on that one.

But let's remember--back when campaign finance reform was the big deal, conservatives across the board were opposed. They essentially said that money is speech and its expression is not to be curtailed.

So, let me get that straight: Corporations should be able to slather their money around wherever they like in the public square, unless it goes to a cause you don't agree with, in which case corporations are overstepping their bounds?

One other point: a lot of corporations support all sorts of causes, including theater troupes, symphony orchestras, little leagues baseball diamonds and more. In this crazy world of ours, I'm sure every single one of those things has opponents. Are those examples, Mr. Pastor, of corporations stepping inappropriately outside their four walls?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home