The Columbia River is Devoid of Salmon
The Columbia River is massive--the largest on the west coast. According to this article, however, it is almost devoid of salmon:
Governments have spent billions of dollars to rebuild the population after overfishing, logging, agriculture and development decimated salmon, placing a dozen species on lists of threatened and endangered fish.
Scientists have been unable to explain why so few fish returned this spring.
They have reviewed several theories, such as sea lions eating the salmon or large numbers of smolts dying on the spring migration to the ocean.

4 Comments:
That's one happy fisherman . . .
one un-happy spring chinook!
Nice jackets!
Legend has it that the salmon don't come up river until the dogwoods bloom. They just started blooming last week. The fishing season for salmon just closed on the Columbia yesterday.
'Cept the sea lions can keep on catching 'em because they haven't read the fishing regulations and nobody told them they needed a fishing license. And then . . . where would they find the 50 bucks for the fees.
I was among the lucky folks to eat some of this very salmon. It was the best spring Chinook I've had since I've been in Oregon (26 years)! And the fisherman is among the best human beings I've had the great good fortune to know (and not because of the fish, and, more importantly, his homegrown tomatoes later in the year).
Uh, nice anecdotal story. You know that really doesn't prove anything, right?
Matt, I do fear you, because I have no idea what you are talking about.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home