Monday, April 18, 2005

I am now a published book reviewer

A few years ago I read This Organic Life by Joan Dye Gussow, the legend of gardening, eating locally, and homesteading.

I believe in all of these principles very dearly, and in fact this past weekend we just planted a bunch of blueberry bushes and veggies. But she's a bit of a hard-ass. She goes on for several sentences about how she'd love to eat a banana, but she can't bring herself to eat a food that requires so much petroleum etc. to get here.

I sort of wrestled with that. Surely, she's a maniacal zealot on this point. But is she right?

A few weeks ago--after a few drinks--it suddenly struck me out of the blue: for my tastes, she was too strict. Life is short. We must smile. If a banana will make you smile, then eat the damn banana, I say. (It's not like she has a passion for beating people up, or something that's REALLY hurtful.) We should all try to make the world a better place however we can. But bananas aren't the worst thing in the world. She should learn from Warren Zevon, who recorded an album while suffering with terminal cancer. He called it "Enjoy Every Sandwich."

So I went to the website of her publisher, and they had a thing where readers could send in reviews. I dashed off a smarmy one. A few minutes ago, I got an e-mail that they had published it. Hilarious!

5 Comments:

At 11:19 AM , Blogger Wisdom Weasel said...

Ethics and bananas: eat the banana if-
1) the farmer was paid a fair price
2) the agri-business who owns the land doesn't use thugs to break up unions
3) the level of poisons used without even rudimentary EPA-like controls doesn't mean suffering for workers and neighbors around the plantation
I still eat bananas (organic ones where possible) because you can't fight every battle, like you say. Her gasoline thing is a crock though: does she personally deliver every copy of her book by bike, a book that no doubt she has had printed on 100% post-consumer using soy ink? And the money she makes: I assume she doesn't handle cash that has made the journey by gas guzzling truck from the nearest Federal Reserve Bank.
Nice review- you should do this on Amazon and publisher websites all day.

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Mondale said...

I agree. Choosing battles is one of life's most important lessons.
For the record I was once thrown off a BBC website for alleging that Richard Nixon was a war criminal. They claimed that without evidence my comment was liable to action by lawyers representing Nixon's estate. I'm also banned froom ebay.

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger henryabbott said...

One drawback of blogs is that I understand a company really is liable for anything on its website--even comments from the public. So that forces them to stifle free speech on a blogs and message boards.

Careful Bowles. I might chuck you off thebigball if you're not careful.

BTW, what did you do on ebay?

 
At 9:50 AM , Blogger Wisdom Weasel said...

Henry, from what I've been able to beat out of him it seems to involve guitars. 1000s of guitars.

 
At 9:53 AM , Blogger henryabbott said...

For the first time I'm thinking Bowles may have some kind of double life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home