Tuesday, March 01, 2005

We're Going to Space

Speaking of the Big Ball, you know those images of earth from space that everyone loves so much? It's a view we all might actually enjoy one day.

I have never been all that into space. I mean, yes, of course I own the Star Wars trilogy and even watch it now and again even after all these years (and my dog is, in fact, part wookie). But I'm not one of those people who would give his eye teeth to go to space, and when you hear about nutty entrepreneurs spending millions to go to space, I see that like collecting tiaras--something you'd only do if you were absolutely demented with cash.

But I am writing an article right now about that nut Richard Branson, who has joined with some other poorly groomed billionaires to create Virgin Galactic. You can basically book now to go to space in 2008. Prices start at a cool $200,000.

You have to assume, however, that the prices for this kind of thing will drop pretty seriously as competition develops and the technology is streamlined. If the percentage drop rivals that of DVD players over the last few years, we might literally be going to space in our lifetimes. We really might all be astronauts. We might get to see the earth as a big ball. If not us, then certainly our kids.

It's a little hard to grasp.

1 Comments:

At 7:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The coolest thing is the name of their first space vehicle: the VSS Enterprise.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home