Monday, February 28, 2005

Snow Closings

It is snowing in New Jersey. People are going home from work and the kids are out of school (and, reports my wife, running amok in the public library).

I guess I can understand that. It is snowing pretty hard.

But has anyone noticed that these days they have a hair trigger on the ol' snow closings? Last week they let the kids out of school early in Flemington on a day when it didn't actually start snowing until after the school day would have ended. Today, several people left work hours ago, even though even the snow still hasn't stuck to the roads at all.

"And they wonder," says my friend Jill, who raised five kids, "why American kids are going soft."

(Not to sound like some grizzled old crank, but along those same lines, a few weeks ago I was playing full-court basketball with some teenagers. An hour and a half into it, one of them said he didn't want to guard me because I was sweaty. Yes, sweaty. As in "sweat-equity" and "1% inspiration, 99% perspiration." Of course, sweaty is a problem at work, and sweaty is a problem when you want to hug your clean loved ones. I did not think sweat would ever be a problem in the gym.)

7 Comments:

At 11:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's why i don't like to guard you at work. one, it seems like overkill (the game is finished, etc). but, two, you're all sweaty and i don't like getting that sh*t on my threads.

has this blog been approached by a sports drink manufacturer? might be a nice marriage.

 
At 8:26 PM , Blogger Wisdom Weasel said...

You would be right at home among the hippie back to the landers who like to move to Maine: they sweat like a rickshaw puller's balls AND don't believe in competitive sports, so you'd totaly kick their ass at one-on-one.

 
At 8:29 PM , Blogger henryabbott said...

I am the king of sweat, it must be said.

Do you think we could goad some Mainers into playing me one-on-one for money?

 
At 9:29 AM , Blogger Wisdom Weasel said...

I see a "New Jersey men can't jump" sort of playground scheme in the works: I'm in!

Word of advice though; never take up their offer of double or quits if hockey sticks are involved.

 
At 10:58 AM , Blogger henryabbott said...

See if you can find some big lug. Everyone will bet on him. You can be the bookie.

We'll hype it up, get a big betting crowd, then I'll sweat all over him and we'll abscond to a climate-controlled, stick-free environment to count the money.

 
At 1:58 PM , Blogger Wisdom Weasel said...

Talking of Maine basketball, I'd suggest a peek at my pal Jim Baumer's wrap ups from our recently concluded High School championships here.

They go nuts for it here; too bad our high school teams are as bad as our beloved current Boston Celtics.

 
At 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. Check out tropical fish decoration

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home