Bo Kimble and I Talk Boobs
Remember Bo Kimble?
I ran into him on Saturday. We were in a lobby at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine waiting for the Orlando Magic's shootaround to end. He was dropping in on his college coach Paul Westhead, who is now an assistant coach with the Orlando Magic. I was waiting to interview some Magic players for an upcoming feature article for HOOP.
(For those of you who don't remember, Bo went to high school in Philadelphia, and college in California, with Hank Gathers. The two of them were incredible together, the best college tandem in the country. Then, tragically, Gathers lost his life to a heart condition. In the 1990 NCAA tournament, Kimble, a right-hander, earned the nation's adoration by shooting several free throws left-handed in honor of the lefty Gathers.)
Anyway, so Bo and I were killing time there, chit-chatting, and discovered that we were both fans of Chappelle's Show. He recounted his favorite skit: the one where Dave, who is black, plays a vicious, blind, racist who thinks he is white. We were both laughing hard. In fact, we laughed so much that at one point, Bo slapped my knee. I spend a fair amount of time talking to basketball players, and find it is a precious rarity to enjoy conversation so much. I was dying to contribute something.
For some reason, the only Chappelle's Show skit I could think of at that exact moment was the one where Dave (who is for some reason accompanied by a guy from the TV show Fear Factor) hands out awards on New York streets for "great New York boobs." Mostly the women who get the awards seem surprised but sort of proud. One woman is with her parents, who are clearly taken aback. Then at the end, essentially after the skit is over, there is a huge man, who inarguably does have breasts, standing there with one of these big "Great New York Boobs" ribbons stuck to his chest, and he's saying something like "what, is this supposed to be f*%!ing funny?"
Yes, yes it is.
Sadly, as I finished that story, we both had to stop laughing and look serious as we made our way into the practice.
I would love to close with a "Bo knows boobs" line, but I can't think of a good one.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home